Friday, January 11, 2013

XXVc Notebook - thinkin'

Just some thoughts I've been kicking around the past few days-

I believe it was in Phil Nowlan's short story Armageddon 2419 AD that it's mentioned that Americans are able to converse on a radio frequency that the Han can't pick up. I think I'm going to translate that into my XXVc game as Americans rediscovering Ham radio or maybe shortwave radio (I'll have to look those up first) and the Martian/Chinese/"Mongol" technology is too advanced to pick it up.

I recall hearing that, back in the 80's, Russian electrical systems were archaic enough that an EMP from an air-burst nuke would have no effect. I don't know if that's true, but it's an interesting notion- crusty, old technology as a defense against the shiny, new stuff. It works well for Buck Rogers, at any rate. Witness the use of biplanes in the early days of the strip.


No comments:

Post a Comment