Monday, April 29, 2013

The Dustbowl of My Mind

I haven't done much gaming in the past... oh, maybe 20 years or so. I've tried to either run a game or play in one without much luck in either. In particular, my meager, rusty GMing skills have been put to the test with less than stellar results. Case in point, my most recent venture into the world of Buck Rogers.

Long story short, one of my two players was of the type that likes to question the actions of his GM, going so far as to make a rather rude implication that I was out to fuck them over because I chose to keep my die rolls hidden. This happened to be an online game, but whether or not the game is in person, I choose to hide the die rolls. Standard operating procedure in my book.

Anyway, it just took the wind out of my sails and I just didn't want to GM after that. And this just after two sessions. And so, the river went dry, the crops withered away and the homesteaders left for... who knows what? My creative side just basically shut down after that and I haven't even wanted to run a game since then, much less continue writing adventures. Thanks, Kalvin, you asshole.

The other of my two players, the jocular Ettin of Hexen (aka Brandocles, he of Duster Bones fame) has begun an AD&D game starring me (and only me) which has helped get me back into the swing. That and the new Syfy series Defiance (it's a floor wax and a desert topping!) have started a trickle of creative sludge moving. In the case of Defiance, it has given me a much better visual conception of the Earth of XXVc, in addition to giving me some idea of how the different gennie types might co-exist.

So, if I can get through the minor physical issues I've been having of late and actually take a look at my game notes again, I might be able to get back to assailing the 4 or 5 suckers that wind up on my web log with more Buckness. If nothing else, I've been able to actually write something again (the above,) even though it doesn't amount to a hill o' shit.

I'm off, perchance to dream of bio-men and terrines and rocket everythings.


KAREEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMM!

No comments:

Post a Comment