Friday, March 28, 2014

David A. Trampier Has Died Again

A couple of years ago I had a chance to interview someone who worked at TSR in the early days about Dave Trampier. The idea was to simply celebrate and give an analysis of the man's artwork, as I was and am such a huge fan. It's one of those things, y'know- the cassette got put in a drawer and forgotten; I moved on to other projects, etc.

So, now at the age of 59, the greatest artist to ever work for TSR, to work on AD&D, has died. His work resonated deeply with me for a number of reasons, the least of which was the connection to the game. I was so taken by his artwork on the original AD&D Dungeon Master's Screen that it kept me from playing the game- I'd just sit there and drink in the details, while the DM would yell at me to "pull my head out." For a long, long time, the artwork on that screen was infinitely more interesting to me than the game itself.

As has been noted ad nauseum on the various gaming message boards across the internet, he fled the industry and his art sometime in the late 80's and so I've had a long time to come to terms with the idea that he'd never return to it. So, having already made my peace, I can't say that I'm especially affected by his passing, especially after having already mourned the loss of Dave Brockie of the band GWAR, who I believe died on the same day.

And, once again, it's over. I still have that interview and I should probably transcribe it and post it, maybe even do that examination of his art.

I dunno. What would Dave do?

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever end up transcribing your interview?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's still locked away on that cassette in a box somewhere. Thing is, I don't even have a cassette player anymore, so I'll have to figure that bit out before I do the do.

    ReplyDelete