Saturday, May 31, 2014

XXVc- Fast Talk issues



One of my players whipped a successful Fast Talk roll on one of my gennies which lead to an interlude wherein I had decipher exactly how the skill worked. The rules don't really go into much detail and as far as I know there isn't another similar TSR game that has that skill.

But there was nothing about duration, number of targets, or how soon you could retry in case of a fail. Vexing. Anybody know of a TSR game I can go to as a reference? The only game I can think of that is similar is Call of Cthulhu (a game I own, that is) but I haven't had a chance to dig it out of storage yet.

Oliver, what have you got for me?

2 comments:

  1. Rulings instead of rules, Oculus. ;)

    I personally wouldn't give a retry, as fast talk is one-shot confusion by overloading someone's brain cells. If they get time to think about it, there is a high likelihood it will fail. Notice how in many films they try to figure it out but can't put their finger on what actually is illogical. The fast-talker will usually introduce new arguments faster than the target can absorb.

    In principle, groups are a possibility, especially if they have a leader. Like a patrol, for example. Groups just make the roll harder - if the group interferes that is. A group of grunts behind a brutal patrol leader might not actually voice dissent that fast or the leader shuts them up to enforce his authority, so in roleplaying terms the party only interacts with the leader even if it affects the whole group (the patrol).

    The duration is rather temporary, and in case of somebody already suspicious or with contradicting orders, may only last the few minutes he or she needs to figure it all out in their head - and hit the alarm button, come after you or whatever else they can still do. In such situations, Fast Talk might get you past the door or guard, but it only buys you a little time. In other situations, the results of Fast Talk are permanent - like talking someone into buying your jet car (see your nice choice of picture) without further consequence.

    That's how I would handle the skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all makes disturbingly good sense and I have no reason not to make use of it. Well done and thanks! This will come in very handy. :)

    ReplyDelete