Tuesday, June 17, 2014

B/X Notebook- Thieves & Scrolls & Gods & Everyone

One change I forgot to list before is removing the Thief's ability to read magic scrolls, which begins at 10th level. If there was one good reason for a thief to be able to do that, I'd probably let it slide.

However, a couple of years back I posited the (paraphrased) question "Why can thieves cast spells from scrolls when no other non-magical class can't?" on Dragonsfoot and for the most part got either bullshit answer ("Thieves figure stuff out. It's what they do.") or the typical assholery you find online ("Because it says so in the rules.")

To my mind, either everyone can cast spells from scrolls (which is supported in tons of film and literature) or just Magic Users and Elves (and any similar class) can. As I tend to enjoy a low-magic setting, I choose to go with the latter, but it would be interesting to see how the former would work out. Maybe limit spell level to 4th or something.


Okay, onto the next subject which is just to clarify a point I'd made before about everyone having a god. That probably sounds a little neo-Conservative, but what I was trying to say was that, in days of yore when knights were bold and all that, the unsophisticated peoples of the day needed to have all things unnatural explained to them and so they turned to gods to do that.

In terms of my game, that just means that everyone believes in gods. It's just a part of life, like tiraphegs and swords that are smarter than you are. I didn't mean to imply that players have to pay tithings or attend services or whatever. The fact is that gods actually exist in this world- they're right there! Makes it a little tough to deny their existence.

So, are we all clear on this point? Good. :)

2 comments:

  1. I still maintain that Thieves can't cast Clerical spells off scrolls because there's a hefty amount of divine channelling that such casting does. Right through the no-noes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably already agreed with you in chat, but yeah, that makes perfect sense. A thief can steal a lot of things, but the power of a god is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete