Friday, August 22, 2014

Fuck Yeah DragonQuest! Part 1

Today I'm going to create a character for SPI's amazing rpg DragonQuest (2nd ed.) Why? Well, because DQ died a young and truly tragic death and I for one would rather not see it fade from existence. Hopefully, this example of chargen may turn some people on to the game.

So I'm gonna go through it step-by-step and also by-the-book. Since characteristics are arrived at though point-buy, we get to avoid the liberal chargen augmentation typical D&D, i.e. roll 4d6, drop the lowest; place where you want, etc.

Since we're living in the Space Age, I'm gonna use a nifty Excel character sheet that's supposed to do all the math for me. You can find it here. Hopefully it works in Open Office as I don't have MS Office.


5. Character Generation

One of the neat things about DQ chargen is that it's both randomly rolled and point-buy. How is this possible, you ask? Please, let me demonstrate for you. First, roll 2d10 (in DragonQuest, the only die used is a d10, which is expressed in the game as simply "D," so in this case I would use "2D" to describe the roll. This'll come up again later) and consult the handy Point Generation Table (not shown.) The number I roll will provide for me the amount of points I can spend on characteristics and the maximum number I can place in any one of those scores. For example, a roll of 4 gives me 83 points to distribute among the six main characteristics, but with a maximum of 24 in one

Characteristics in DragonQuest range from a minimum of 5 to a normal maximum of 25. Some races (like giants) can surpass that number in certain characteristics.

Okay, my roll is 5+9=14 which gives me...93 points to divide among six attributes with a maximum of 21 in one slot. As per rule 5.2 this also means that I can have two attributes of 20 points and three attributes of 19, should I choose to do so. I don't know quite yet. As I love DQ's magic system, I think I'll pursue that path. But I have twelve colleges of magic to choose from (15 if you include Arcane Wisdom,) so I have some cogitating to do. But first, my scores-

Physical Strength: 11
Manual Dexterity: 13
Agility: 12
Endurance: 20
Magical Aptitude: 21 (I chose this first and maxed it for obvious reasons)
Willpower: 16
Fatigue: 22 (this is a figured characteristic based on Endurance)
Perception: 8 (all characters start with an 8 in Perception.)

I decided I want him to be a robust dude that can live off the land, thus the high Endurance, but he's no John Rambo- he has to rely on his magic skills to cover the areas where he comes up short physically.

6. Birthrights

I see this guy being human, but just for the hell of it I'm going to see if I can successfully roll on percentiles for a different race. Out of the ones available, I'm gonna shoot for Elf, Giant, and Shape-Changer (lycanthrope.) According to the rules, if the roll succeeds, I have to take the race, so whichever one I get first is the one I'm stuck with. Here we go-

Elf (30%)- I rolled a 95. Fail.
Giant (06%)- I rolled a 15. Close, but still fail.
Shape-changer (04%)- a 70. Looks like I'm human after all.

7. Aspects

This tells me what my character's place in the universe is, more or less, and is probably the closest thing to D&D's alignment. It's essentially astrology. Percentiles are used again here and I rolled a 66, which section 7.1 tells me means I'm Autumn Stars aspected. What this means is that during certain days of the year (and certain times of those respective days,) my dude will either be affected or afflicted by the Cosmos. This can suggest all kinds of things about my character (looks, style of dress, personality) or I can ignore that and go with whatever mental image I started with.

8. Heritage

Now we find out which side of the tracks my boy comes from. Everything from "poor trash" to "greater nobility" and a bunch of stuff in between. Another percentile roll and I get 17 which makes nature boy Impoverished Gentlefolk. Works for me.
Now let's find out if he's a bastard. Another percentile roll will tell me if he's a bastard, legit, or a first born child. This will affect his starting money and experience. I rolled a 68, which means he's legitimate- not as much fun as the other two possibilities, but I can live with it. No changes here.

But we're not done here quite yet. Now we find out how many siblings he has, if any, and what his place in line is. A D10 roll of 1, the loneliest number, reveals that he is second in line to the Throne of Mud and Hay. Huzzah!

We're almost done for today. The final step is to find out what his starting money and experience points are. This calls for two percentile rolls. The experience point roll: 92! That starts me off with 200 xp to spend. Nice.

The money roll: 40. That's okay, I guess. This gives me 45 silver pennies. Now, I refer back to the Social Status table (8.1) for my money multiplier- impoverished gentlefolk get a 2x to their starting dosh, so I get 90 sp to blow on gear and sundries. All in all I can't complain.

I think that's enough for now. Next time I'll buy his gear, do his skills, and settle on a college of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment